Thursday, March 1, 2007

I'm into Free Food

Maybe its an addiction. Maybe it just makes common sense. But whatever it is, I love free food. If an event is giving something to eat away, I will be on top of it, I will be there early, and I will push anyone out of my way. It might be the caveman inside me, the one who tells me to grow facial hair. I am constantly preparing for winter, even though I don't hibernate.

A few weeks ago they had on campus an event for everyone who uses campus cash, to come See what the vendors were offering, and who takes it. I pretty much am the king of using campus cash, of all my friends I am the only one who uses it regularly and I'm sure I keep the system afloat, at least at certain locations. The deli in the basement knows me as the guy who flashes the NYU id to pay for everything, including a slice of toast.
Well this event was a dream come true. For some reason there were dozen Mexican places represented, so I had my far share of Mexican food. I got certificates for three free burritos from Chipoltle. Pizza mercato served up slices of pizza. There were coffee, pastries, cupcakes, cookies, falafel, and my very favorite (I cannot underestimate in saying how happy this made me, I'm easy to please) a surprise of paella being dished out. They were giving us saffron and seafood!

Yesterday was Ultra Violet Live and afterwards there was free food. My friend Sue and her roommate Brittany liked that I came along with them to the top of the Rosenthal Pavilion, it made them feel better about themselves to see me with two plates loaded with mozzarella sticks, egg rolls, chicken wings, cheese, and crackers. In my defense I hadn't eaten all that much, except two bagels at breakfast, which were paid for by the local hall council. Yes, after the breakfast was over I snagged a couple of free bagels, but there was no one else there to take them.

One of the highlights of the evening was the fact that Josh H. a friend of mine from good old high school, was one of the judges. It was weird to hear his voice again, but good to know that he hadn't vanished completely off the face of the earth, or worse, totally immersed in LA. I wanted to see him after the show but he didn't come up to the Rosenthal Pavilion on the tenth floor of Kimmel, to watch me stuff my face with all matter of fried cheese and dairy products.

No comments: