Monday, May 7, 2007

Update - Poetry.com

Well a while back I wrote about Poetry.com a website that lets you enter contests and win money. They also publish your poetry if they deem it worthy. Some research on the web however, showed me the true nature of this site. How lazy of me! I had stumbled across poetry.com by typing the desire website name in Google and seeing if one existed. If only I had scrolled down, I would have seen that it is considered a fraud. They make you pay to enter their competitions and they don;t screen the poetry that comes to them for publication. Rather they agree to publish anything which makes them a VANITY PRESS.

I stopped putting things on their website except for the occasional daily poetry contest, only because I like to use their magnetic poetry to try and make poems from odd images and combinations of words. However if they ask for money for anything, I refuse. Recently they sent something in the mail to me in NY, asking if I would like to be published in their anthology. I declined by not responding. The books are dense and they only publish short poems so they can cram as many as they can into one.

When it is active, I am thinking of entering the contest over at Winning Writers, Where one can submit a poem to poetry.com that is basically doggerel and see it offered for publication. You can win a prize for showing that poetry.com will publish anything.

Here is an example from the website:

Flubblebop
by Wergle Flomp

flobble bobble blop
yim yam widdley woooo
oshtenpopple gurby
yip yip yip
nish-nash nockle nockle
opfem magurby voey
Ahh! "Wurby tictoc?"
"quefoxenjib masaloouterp!"
bim-burm nurgle shliptog
afttowicky wicky wicky
erm addmuksle slibberyjert!
Reqi stoobery bup dinhhk
yibberdy yobberdy hif twizzum moshlap
dwisty fujefti coppen smoppen dob
tigtog turjemy fydel
saxtenvurskej brisleywum
swiggy swiggy swug
yumostipijjle dobers!

No comments: